Site of the old castle of the Ryukyu kingdom located in the Shuri suburb of Naha, Okinawa. From 1406, when King Sho Hashi attacked Chuzan, one of the three petty states of Okinawa, it became the center of Ryukyu rule. It was the castle of seven generations from King Sho Hashi and nineteen generations of the second Sho dynasty beginning with Sho En. At the end of World War II, the castle was bombed and the wooden structure burned to the ground. The part of the castle was reconstructed and opened as Shuri Castle Park in 1992. It has been designated a UNESCO-protected World Heritage site.