Mountain on the border between Kyoto and Shiga prefectures, central Honshu. On the eastern slope is the temple Enryakuji, an important center of the Tendai sect of Buddhism founded by the priest Saicho in 788. Hie Shrine, on the same slope, houses the guardian deity of Enryakuji. Height: 848 m (2,782 ft).
延暦寺（えんりゃくじ）Head temple of the Tendai sect of Buddhism. Hieizan has been a center for religious practices since the Heian period (794-1185). The founders of new sects during both the Kamakura (1185-1333) and Muromachi (1333-1568) periods were, almost without exception, originally trained at Hieizan. They included Ryonin, founder of the Yuzu Nembutsu sect; Honen of the Jodo sect; Shinran of the Jodo Shin sect; Eisai, who introduced the Rinzai sect to Japan; Dogen who did the same for the Soto sect; and Nichiren, founder of the Nichiren sect.
Many buildings including the Kompon Chudo (1642), the third largest wooden structure in Japan, has been designated a National Treasure.