China Town, Yokohama
After the port of Yokohama was opened to foreign trade and commerce in 1858, many people from the West as well as from China came to Yokohama. Particularly after 1871 with the signing of the Sino-Japan treaty of friendship, this district grew up where trade businesses, restaurants, tailors, and many other enterprises run by Chinese were clustered. The number of Chinese restaurants gradually increased through the Taisho (1912-26) and Showa (1926-89) eras. It was burned to the ground in the Great Kanto Earthquake that claimed more than 200,000 lives in 1923, but was rebuilt, and continues to flourish today.